Re: checking the aspect ratio of an images

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 01:08 +0800, Crayon Shin Chan wrote:

> > >  >
> > >  > You can't really be 'approximate' when coding.
> > >
> > >You certainly can be "approximate" when coding. It's called heuristics
> > >and it's an absolute necessity in many areas of software development.
>
> > Absolutely, and what about fuzzy logic -- that method is based upon
> > "approximate" calculations.
>
> But somewhere in the guts of the approximate calculations there are
> _precisely_ defined limits. Anyhow, please illustrate how you would use
> approximate calculations in determining or defining the aspect ratio of
> an image.

Precisely defined limits are not the same as precisely defined values. I
might precisely define the amount of entropy on a random value as being
some formula based on the current temperature of my CPU. The formula is
quite precise, but the value is only precisely known after I take the
temperature... and even then it probably doesn't serve me to know it
explicitly unless I'm verifying results. If I then take that random
value and use it to make other decisions then the end result isn't
exactly precise.

Taking this to a world of expansion... everything we do as humans
probably comes down to a precise formula, all our thoughts and all our
actions based on those thoughts. But what isn't so precise, is knowing
all the variables that impose themselves upon the decision making
process at the atomic/sub-atomic level.

As for how this affects the aspect ratio of an image... it doesn't
really, but the person who said that "You can't really be 'approximate'
when coding" didn't exactly confine it to the question about aspect
ratio and an image.

Cheers,
Rob.