Difficulties including scripts from another folder (apache2.2, PHP5, Vista)

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had any ideas about how to tackle this problem:

I have just set up Apache2.2 and php5 on VISTA using mod_php. Php page load
work fine for most things. However, when i try to separate some .php files
for inclusion throughout the website in a separate folder to the visited
pages, I get a non-verbose error which stops the php script working. the
rest of the page (the html) looks fine, but the script doesn't do anything,
and doesn't print an error message (i did NOT use @include, but include)

the folders go like this:

e:\httpdocs\php-bin\foo.inc.php        >>>>file to be included
e:\httpdocs\documents\index.php    >>>>file doing the including

where:
-php.ini is loaded correctly in c:\windows\php.ini, as shown by phpinfo(),
and where #include_path = ".;e:\httpdocs\php-bin"#
-the call to foo.inc.php is in the head element of index.php as #<?php
require(".\foo.inc.php"); ?>#
-the apache doc root is e:\httpdocs\

I have tried making sure that the include path was correct by using:
#ini_set("include_path",
"e:\httpdocs\php-bin");# as well as
#set_include_path("e:\httpdocs\php-bin");#, but to no avail.

the only way to make this work is by using this:
#require("..\php-bin\foo.inc.php");# , but i shouldn't have to do that as i
have set my include_path correctly ( i think). This will cause major
headaches as the website grows, since each page will have to be customised
for the level in the hierachy.

any ideas why that is and how it could be solved?

brice