Re: Re: Re: php-cli vs python OT

On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 16:36 -0400, Daniel Brown wrote:
> On 6/7/07, Robert Cummings <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 16:19 -0400, Daniel Brown wrote:
> >
> > I had one of those little screams yesterday when I started using the
> > PHP's id3 lib when I realized it's crap because it can't delete or write
> > version 2 tags. Fortunately I found a nice user comment pointing me to
> > the PHP implemented getid3 lib. An hour later my mp3 collection (several
> > thousand ripped from my own CD collection of course :) had nice ID3 tags
> > based on the directories and filenames I had created a few years ago.
> >
> > Wasn't an issue when I was using XMMS but I just switched to Amarok and
> > it makes extensive sensible use of ID3 tags :)
> >
>     Rob,
>
>     Are you using Amarok on Windows, Linux, or other?  I have Amarok
> 1.3.1 on KDE 3.4.2 on Mandriva 2006.0 Community on 2.6.12-12mdksmp on
> an i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz w/ 1GB RAM on a desk with a
> bunch of crap on it, and all it does is crash for me.  I use Totem
> instead, occasionally using xine for audio, and usually for video
> (different subject).  Just wondering how stable Amarok is for you.

I'm running Amarok 1.4.3 (using KDE 3.5.5) on Ubuntu 6.10 (I'm actually
a Gnome user). I used Mandrake up till 10.0, I'll never go back. My
desktop is an Athlon 2400 with 2 gigs of memory (though consumption
rarely goes past half gig unless I'm running several VMWare OSes at the
same time). I started using it about 3 days ago, I've had a few crashes,
but mostly when doing something major like re-scanning my collection
(8000+). Had no trouble grabbing covers, creating playlists, editing
100s of tags within Amarok, etc. Only complaint really is that it's pig
slow when switching to or sorting columns on large playlists (well the
whole 8000 heheh).

Cheers,
Rob.