Is the GD module standard?

PHP General,

I have been using the imagepng() function in my local testing environment for a while now to make CAPTCHA images.

In my testing environment, I hadn't done any customization to my PHP set up. I went with the default set of installation options that Ubuntu offers for a LAMP server.

Recently, I uploaded my site to a web hosting server, and the CAPTCHA would not display.

At first, I didn't understand that it was a module issue, because I thought the imagepng() function was standard in PHP.

However, by using the phpinfo() command on my hosting service, I realized they don't have the GD module installed.

So my assumption that imagepng() will be available on any standard installation of PHP is wrong.

However, I'm surprised that it wouldn't be as common as, say, the MySQL module.

Is it that my Ubuntu installation comes with an unusual amount of bells and whistles? Is it that my web hosting server is lacking in what can be expected for standard PHP features?

I want to write code that most people can expect to run on their hosting services without having to reconfigure their PHP installation. So, can I expect that most servers would have the GD module? If not, what do people usually do to manipulate images?

Thank you for any advice.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu Feisty 7.04