Re: uploading really big files

Richard Lynch wrote:
On Wed, May 30, 2007 8:47 am, Angelo Zanetti wrote:
We need to develop a system where we can upload really big files. IE
15
- 25 Mb.

You're pushing the limit on user patience and browser timeouts...

So I know you can set the limit of the upload thats not a problem, I
know a problem that we might experience is that the browser might time
out. Is there any way around this?

Nope.

The browser gets tired of waiting around for the upload to complete
because your server is too slow/busy, and the user has a very bad
experience.

file upload was grafted onto HTTP rather late in the game, and shows
the scars badly.

and also are there other problems I
might encounter?

Woof.

Yes, there are many problems you might encounter :-)

Users on slow/flaky connectionns will never have a good experience
with HTTP file upload.  Give them FTP or SCP or something that is more
stable and will re-try.

You also have to consider what users might choose to upload that is
not what you wanted.  There are all kinds of people out there looking
to upload "interesting" content that you don't actually want, most
likely.

There is a Flikr book out there that might have some insight for you. They obviously dealt with this already, and wrote a whole book all
about Flikr, so it's probably got something in there covering this.

thanks for the replies. But how does a site like: http://www.yousendit.com/ do the upload of really huge files?
Normal upload?

thanks

Angelo Zanetti