Re: Re: Check if Record was Entered Today.

On 5/25/07, Rahul Sitaram Johari <sleepwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I guess one of the problems is that PHP has a limited number of dbase
functions and I'm not able to run SQL Queries on a dbf database. Basically
have to make-do with the few dbase() functions I have available in PHP.

But I do get your logic and it's pretty helpful. I did re-write the code
using Boolean (flags) as Richard had also suggested and it works fine now!

Still wish I could run SQL Queries or do more to a dbase database using
PHP.

Thanks!

If you have a database that is unchanging (archived), you can always
transribe it into another format (such as an array or object) if the data
doesn't change, or store it in an XML file, or insert it into a MySQL
database (per table, column names, then loop through each record, copying it
over as you go), and then use more robust queries offered by those
technologies.

I don't know how sophisticated you are with PHP, but the easiest (or at
least most well-documented) solution is to move it to a MySQL database if
the db is archived (and unchanging).

PHP5 supports xQuery, which is also compelling, but the xml classes are
alittle dense to figure out, I think, if you've never gone through
programmatic XML parsing and searching before.

If, though, the database is used by some other software and you're using it
as a bridge (meaning the data changes and transcription isn't a viable
alternative), you may be stuck using the method you're describing.

Although, another alternative may be to configure a command line interpreter
on the db host machine to handle a script that pushes the work to another
machine (db host), that then returns a plaintext-formatted array that can
then be searched using array functions or whatnot, and is then used as an
include() file. This way, the data is rebuilt each go around, but the
overhead is pushed to another machine, similar to a SOAP service (which is
another...). Pass a variable id to the CLI script...

--
Jared Farrish
Intermediate Web Developer

Abraham Maslow: "If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see
every problem as a nail." $$