Re: Re: Re: RE: Cannot access file on Network Drive (Windows 2003)

On Thu, May 24, 2007 5:29 pm, Jared Farrish wrote:

>> This *might* be correct with PHP as an Apache Module, but I doubt
>> it.
>>
>> I think it's more like:
>>
>> Whatever -> PHP -> stdio.h File System calls
>>
>> "Whatever" will affect what user is running PHP and thus what
>> permissions they have, but that's about it.
>>

> Is it then:
>
> Whatever['Apache.exe'] (owns) System Process (which) Requests (using)
> stdio.h

I dunno what the heck is "System Process"...

If "System Process" means "Operating System" then, yes, sort of,
except that Apache doesn't "own" the OS, so that's not making sense...

> How/what determines the active process that is requesting the
> directive (and
> matches access privileges)?

Does Windows care what PROCESS is accessing the file, or does it care
what USER running that process is accessing the file?...

If Windows denies access to user X running process P, but grants
access to user X running process Q, then it's even more messed up than
I thought, and that was pretty friggin messed up to start with...

> If PHP is running in CLI, I could see how this might be seen as a
> different
> process, but I'm fuzzy about file permissions extended through primary
> processes (such as Apache using an executable)... The whole apache
> GUID mess
> seems like cryptic middle ages eye gouging...

Apache starts up as "root" process to do some god-like things and then
immediately changes its user-ness to the setting in httpd.conf and
spawns off its children after that.

How that interacts with the goofy Windows "Services" and settings in
those interminible dialogs about which user runs which Service is
beyond me...

I can only guess that the Services User starts Apache initially, which
then changes itself to the httpd.conf User before PHP enters into the
picture.

So whatever you choose for the Services User only matters for the
first few nano-seconds of Apache's life, and httpd.conf User is what
matters after that...

But that's just a GUESS not really using Windows all that much, and
certainly not understanding the various Windows "security" (cough
cough) models over the years.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?