Form Processing Question - Empty Fields

I have a script to process the post from a form.

  The form is used to upload photos and has fields for the filename, alt text, caption and a checkbox to indicate if this photo is the main page image rotation.

  I wanted to build a general routine to build the form to allow for a varying number of photos to upload.

  I use main_image[] for the various checkboxes for each photo.

  I see that the checkbox is *not* set, I get nothing back, and if the second photo is checked (and the first not checked), I get main_image[0] = 'on'.

  And I see this happens for the caption[] array as well.

  This seems to me to be pretty ugly.

  Am I understanding this properly?

  Do I really have to use main_image1, main_image2....

  Thanks
  Stephen