Re: System wide variable

Stut wrote:
Darren Whitlen wrote:
I have a PHP script that reads and updates either a small file or a mysql database. This script is called from several places every .5 seconds.

I would like to move this file to a variable for extra speed as the file is causing a few problems being accessed so many times. Is it possible to have a writeable variable that has the scope of EVERY script that is run through the parser?

Not really. Your options are basically 1) use the database instead of the file, or 2) try memcached (Google for it).

-Stut

Hmmm caching really isnt an option here as the data is always changing.
Just a wild idea here.. would it cause major overhead if a script was to start a session, update some session vars, then switch to a common session_id that each script can access? Then use that session to store to my info.
Would that cause any obvious problems?

Darren