Every Wednesday....

   I've noticed a pattern.... every Wednesday, I start to go a little loopy
around 1-2:00p in the afternoon.  I can't concentrate, I get restless,
circus music plays louder in my head than normal....

   So it should come as no surprise that, when trying to execute a file
that just wouldn't work on one partition, I started literally banging my
head off the wall.  However, when I looked back at my progress up to this
point, it was almost like the command-line history was telling some sort of
story.... this is actually taken from my log a few minutes ago.

[dan@office adventure]$ ./adv
bash: adv: cannot execute binary file
[dan@office adventure]$ ./adv
bash: adv: cannot execute binary file
[dan@office adventure]$ ./adv
bash: adv: cannot execute binary file
[dan@office adventure]$ vi /alaska/research/calc/calc.c
[dan@office adventure]$ gcc -o calc /alaska/research/calc/calc.c
[dan@office adventure]$ ./calc MONEY_REMAINING
There is an estimated $2,120 remaining as of 9 May, 2007, at 13:53 EDT.
[dan@office adventure]$ echo "So I can run binary...."
So I can run binary....
[dan@office adventure]$ #Talking to myself gets me nowhere. This is pissing
me off! I'll try a new program written on this partition.
[dan@office adventure]$ vi whore.c
[dan@office adventure]$ gcc -o whore whore.c
[dan@office adventure]$ ./whore MONEY_REMAINING
There is an estimated $2,120 remaining as of 9 May, 2007, at 13:59 EDT.
[dan@office adventure]$ strip whore
[dan@office adventure]$ ./whore MONEY_REMAINING
There is an estimated $2,020 remaining as of 9 May, 2007, at 14:00 EDT.

   At the end there, it just so happened that in the course of less than 60
seconds, a transfer for $100 went out on an automated payment at 2:00p local
time from one account to the next (checking to savings, which I have set to
do at 2:00p every Wednesday afternoon automatically).

   The moral of the story?  It's better to do this:
[dan@office adventure]$ file adv
adv: Linux/i386 demand-paged executable (ZMAGIC), stripped

   .... than to `strip whore`

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272