Re: Apache 2.2.x and PHP 5.2.x

On Wed, May 9, 2007 10:48 am, Philip Thompson wrote:
> Hi. I've searched the archives, but haven't found anything recent
> that has helped me. I am wanting to install AMP on my new computer
> (32-bit Vista) and was interested in the stability/compatibility/etc
> with Apache 2.2.x and PHP 5.2.x. The PHP site doesn't seem to really
> *encourage* the installation for Apache 2.2.x, but still provides the
> ability. I was wondering what other developers thought. Any opinions?
> My system will be no more than a development and testing environment
> - nothing put into widespread production.

There's nothing wrong with installing Apache 2.

However...

As I understand it:

The biggest "win" in Apache 2 is probably the thread stuff.

Some PHP extensions are not thread-safe.

So you have to do "pre-fork mode" of Apache, which, for the most part,
puts you back into an Apache 1.x environment.

For a dev box, Apache 2 would be a FINE selection, especially if the
production server is already Apache 2, or you want to be sure you'll
be able to move forward safely.

Just be sure to stress-test it once in a while, to make sure you're
not introducing a thread-safe issue, if you decide to turn on Apache
thread stuff.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?