RE: Ajax?

Have a look at the various frameworks available since these handle much of
the nasty details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_application_frameworks#PHP

I've been using Qcodo (http://www.qcodo.com) for a recent web app and am
impressed at how quickly I've been able to develop with it. For
JavaScript/CSS, I've also been using Yahoo User Interface (YUI) components
which I'm also really impressed with: http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/

The thing with frameworks and libraries is that everyone will have their
favourite for one reason or another. You just have to find the one you feel
most comfortable with.

Hope that helps,
Edward