Re: Drawing all characters using GD

On Fri, May 4, 2007 9:23 am, Seth Price wrote:
> I have enough fonts installed on my machine to draw most of the
> world's UTF-8 characters. But they aren't all in one font file. How
> can I use the resources I have to reliably draw any character using
> imagetttext()?
>
> For example: Most of the text I want to draw is regular ASCII, many
> words contain Extended ASCII. Then some of it is Korean, Chinese,
> Japanese or Arabic. I don't know when I'll come across what charset.
> I want to draw them all. Is this even possible?

I don't think there is any one giant charset you could have that would
slap all the languages together...

The whole point of a charset is to set up correspondences between
numbers and the "letter" you see.

So every different charset is just a mapping from a number to a
"glpyh" (the physical representation of the letter, like a series of
pen-strokes, as I understand it)

And presumably the guys making up UTF-8, UTF-16, and UTF-32 didn't
make these numbers up just for fun, and actually have languages that
NEED 32 bits to represent every "letter".

I suppose, in theory, you could take every charset, and create a
UTF-40 which used 40 bits, and use the first byte (8 bits) for an
"offset" and then you could map your super-charset back to normal
charsets, assuming there are no more than 255 languages to support.

I guess if there's more than 255 languages, you're looking at even
more bits/bytes...

Sounds like a lot of work, though...

Maybe ask over on the i18n PHP mailing list, as they're way more
familiar with this stuff than most users here.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?