Re: Deviation? Distribution? OT?

At 3:11 PM -0500 5/2/07, Richard Lynch wrote:
On Wed, May 2, 2007 7:55 am, tedd wrote:
 Let me estate the problem. From your dB of things (the population),
 you're going to pull out the top 100 most popular items and then
 divide them into five groups using labels t1 through t5. Considering
 that it's css guy asking for this, he's probably making a "tag
 cloud". They are kind of neat, you can look it up.

It is DEFINITELY a tag cloud.

That's precisely what it is, actually...

Now if I can just see how to relate your sample web page to what I'm
looking for, I'm all set... :-)

Richard:

Ok,

1. Pull out the top 100.

2. Run a standard deviation on the group,

3. Take all those who fall within a standard deviation from the top and make that the t5 group (the most popular) and remove them from future consideration.

For example, if top value is 100 and the standard deviation is 5, then take all things that fall between 95 and 100 as the t5 group.

4. Then expand standard deviation twice and take the next group that falls within the second deviation and tag them t4 and remove them from future consideration.

5. Repeat and finally everything that falls outside of t2 is t1.

I think that will do it.

Cheers,

tedd

--