Re: Running processes in windows

On Sun, April 29, 2007 7:54 am, Nathan Wallis wrote:
> I have an application in windows that I am running with a PHP page
> using
> exec  ("start......
>
> I am wondering as to the efficiency of such a statement and how taxing
> it is
> on the server.  If multiple people access a page with such a
> statement, what
> toll does it take on the server and is there a better way to manage
> calls to
> the server side executable?  When this statement is called a command
> prompt
> window appears for the duration of the execution.  I am guessing it
> would be
> possible to crash the server if thousands of these processes we
> created at
> around the same time....just anyone experience would be greatly
> appreciated.

I dunno for sure, but it will probably crash long before you get
thousands of those suckers going at once...

Use ab (errr, that's an Apache benchmark tester) and find out.

Windows guys seem to like something called supersmack or somesuch over
ab, but whatever.

You can get the DOS window to not appear *somehow* but I forget what
it is...

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?