Re: Changing Session Timeout

On Sun, April 29, 2007 11:50 pm, Aaron Axelsen wrote:
> I did some more investigating, and tracked down the problem.
> Apparently, even though i was setting a separate save_path inside the
> default save path the garbage collector was still picking up the
> sessions in that directory.
>
> I moved the session save_path dir to a separate location and the
> sessions were removed according to the ini settings.  The 1 weird
> thing
> I noticed is that the session cookie on the client PC is not getting
> set
> properly.  I am trying to set a session timeout of 3 hours, the server
> is set to GMT time, and the client PC is set to CST time.  The cookie
> on
> the client PC reports that it has an expiration time of 1.5 hours
> instead of 3.  Does anyone have any ideas why thats happening?

I'll say it again:

If the client and the server don't agree on what time it is "now",
then the client will not return the cookies because they are expired.

If it REALLY matters to you how long a cookie "lasts" you are better
off having a session cookie, or a 2-year cookie (the max), and
micro-managing the timing out of a session in your PHP code.

I once wasted the better part of a week tracking down a session buglet
because my client's web server clock as OFF by 10 *minutes* from
reality...  Apparently they never heard of NTP over at Microsoft...

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?