Re: [X-POST] Fastest way to dump this huge table

On 5/2/07, Richard Davey <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Brian Dunning wrote:

> I have a huge MySQL table, 2.1 million records, 200MB. Once a week I
> need to dump it in CSV format and zip the file.
>
> This is not on my server, and it's in production, so I don't want to
> risk testing different methods and possibly hanging up their server for
> a period of time, so I wanted to seek advice here first to find what's
> the best way to proceed.
>
> I can easily use PHP to query the table for the results I want and write
> a file line by line and then zip it, but I'm worried that might take too
> long and hang up the machine. The other way to go is some kind of sql
> dump command, which I guess would be faster, but not sure how much
> control I'd have over the exact format of the file. Any suggestions
> which way I should proceed? Not hanging up their server is my prime
> concern.

If hogging their server is of prime concern then ideally you either need
to (a) schedule down time for the site while the back-up happens, or (b)
replicate the data to another MySQL server, and back-up that.

I can't see any reason why you need to bring PHP into the equation here,
MySQL has more than enough native tools to do exactly what you need -
and probably a butt-load faster too.

Cheers,

Rich

Brian,

As a comparison, on a *nix master/slave configuration, I'm mysqldumping
nightly a database that's always growing and now is over a 1GB in size. The
dump takes about 20 seconds to finish. Assuming a linear relationship, your
200MB backup should only tie up the db server for around 5 seconds.

Bzipping the .sql file takes infinitiely longer, almost an hour, but a lower
compression ratio should take only 1/4 to 1/3 as long.

I'd say give some attention to the zip method you use.

HTH,

David