Re: Re: What does "<<<" mean?

Man-wai Chang wrote:

> Bash uses only 2. PHP uses 3. And I am using this:
>
> $sql="
>   select ...
>     from ....
>     left join ...
>       on ....
>     where .....
> ";

Exactly. I never saw the point in complicating my life with heredocs
when both single- and double-quoted strings can contain multiple lines
anyway.

One thing that does bother me a little with multi-line strings of either
variety is that if I want to avoid inserting extra spaces in the string
at the beginning of each line after the first, I have to left-align the
whole thing and cannot indent it with the rest of my code:

if($something){
    if($something_else){
       $myID = intval($_GET['rowID']);
       $sql_pretty =
            "SELECT
                field1,
                field2
             FROM
                mytable
             WHERE
                rowID = $myID";
        $sql_ugly =
"SELECT
    field1,
    field2
FROM
    mytable
WHERE
    rowID = $myID";
    }
}

Are there perhaps editors that would DISPLAY multi-line quoted strings
"indented" to the correct level without inserting extra spaces? Some
editors wrap lines to the correct level, which is also much more
readable, so what I'm thinking of is a bit similar to that.

Mattias