Re: Server-Side Speech --- New Project Discussion (PHP/C++ Developers?)

On Thu, April 26, 2007 2:53 pm, Daniel Brown wrote:
>     As a result of an ongoing thread, I am launching a project that
> should
> allow users on shared hosting accounts and other restricted Unix-like
> hosting systems to utilize text-to-speech synthesis, primarily the
> Festival
> TTS engine.  The goal of the project will be to create a miniature,
> portable
> TTS system that a user can upload to their hosting account and use
> right
> away, without the need to compile the system or have access to
> privileged-only libraries.
>
>     The ultimate aim here is for a user to be able to do the
> following, from
> start to finish:
>
>     1.) Determine a need for text-to-speech synthesis on the web.
>     2.) Locate this project.
>     3.) Download the compiled binaries and PHP source code.
>     4.) Upload the binaries and code to their existing hosting
> account.
>     5.) Set permissions on directories and configure the system as
> necessary.
>     6.) Integrate the system into their existing architecture and
> design.
>     7.) Use the system.
>
>     I may set up a small mailing list for the project, as well as a
> forum to
> use with development, bugtracking, et cetera.  I'm not entirely sure
> whether
> I will be hosting the entire project on one of my servers, or if I
> will use
> SourceForge for some or all of the hosting.
>
>     Anyone who's interested in jumping on, let me know.  We may not
> create a
> PHP-based TTS system, but we can do the next best thing.  Besides,
> everything has to start somewhere!

I was thinking more along the lines of a PECL extension...

That comes with some implicit things like:
  hosted at pecl.php.net
  built into PHP source using 'pecl'
  webhosts would install it, or not, as they see fit

It probably wouldn't really help out the person whose host refused to
install this extension in the first place.

But it would increase the number of webhosts who just provide it so
the average developer wouldn't need to dink around trying to install
binaries that might not even be allowed to execute.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?