Re: Changing Session Timeout

On Fri, April 27, 2007 12:26 pm, Aaron Axelsen wrote:
> With the following set, its still timing me out.  I logged in and
> waited about 40 minutes, and it was timed out by then.  This is
> getting very confusing, what else could it be that is causing this to
> not work?

The usual suspcect is that your server clock and your desktop clock
may not agree on what time it is.

The problem with relying on Cookie time out is that it relies on the
user's PC clock to be correctly set.

Most PC clocks are not, in fact, correct.

Many are very very very incorrect.

Of course, your server clock could also be "off" as well -- I spent
days tracking down a bug like this that turned out to be caused by a
server clock being off by TEN MINUTES from reality.  Apparently my
boss had never heard of NTP. :-v

Because of this, you're better off to use session cookies or cookies
with super long expiration times, and then micro-manage the timing of
the expiration within PHP.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?