Re: No mail() function

Miles Thompson wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas?

PHP 5.2 was compiled from source, the mail path is set to /usr/sbin/postfix
in php.ini, and Apache has been restarted. The mail path shows up in
phpinfo().

A  trivial PHP script, written to see if mail could be sent from PHP,
returns this error:

*Fatal error*: Call to undefined function mail() in *
/var/www/junk/testmail.php* on line *9

*The docs say that mail is a core function, like so:
    "There is no installation needed to use these functions; they are part
of the PHP core"

It's a UBUNTU server, so when compiling I sudo'ed and configure / make /
checkinstall (instead of make install) worked fine.

However, in phpinfo() under the "standard"  heading there is no :
        Path to sendmail     /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i
like there is on our production server.

Suggestions and advice will be welcomed.

When PHP is compiled on UNIX it looks for the sendmail binary. If it can't find it the mail function will not be included. That's probably what happened here. I suggest you run configure again and check the output for mail-related issues. If you need further assistance, email the install list.

-Stut