Re: Re: posting variables to parent frame OT

On 4/27/07, tedd <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 11:56 AM +0200 4/27/07, Tijnema ! wrote:
>I guess the same can be done with <div>... But the main problem is
>that there's no real standard for resolution. I see people having
>resolution set at 800x600, and 1600x200, how is it ever possible to
>make a page look good at both? Resizing it to 1600x1200 would give you
>an enormous page, while keeping it at 800 width makes it so damn
>small. So lets say you re size it to 1024 width, then you still have
>such damn borders on both sides. That doesn't look nice either. And
>how would you do deal with pages that have a layout based on pictures?
>Should you create a header that is 1600 width, and resize it down
>until 800 when a user with 800x600 visits? and all images used at
>borders and corners? That's the biggest problem in dynamic layouts.
>Atm, i repeat small images around the borders, but that's a real pain
>in the ass. For now, i mostly design static pages, that are best
>viewable with 1024x768, and resolutions higher then that have those
>damn borders... If sombody has a better way, i'd like to hear :)
>
>Tijnema

If you use css and em's properly, it doesn't make any difference what
the user's monitor size is.

For example, look at this:

http://earthstones.com/

That's my wife's site and I based the entire site on em's -- as explained here:

When i zoom in as max as possible, with current resolution @ 1280x1204
(not even 1600x1200) i still have borders...

http://sperling.com/examples/zoom/

IMO, static sites don't use the medium well -- the web is not print.

Never knew anything of ems, i use % for al dynamic stuff. Is there any
diference between those 2?

Cheers,

tedd

PS: I'm redoing her site -- it's dated.

haha, you're also on that site :P
It's more youre site then hers i guess, you made it, and you're on it.
She's on it too but well, what more? :P

Tijnema