Re: slow performance

On Wed, April 25, 2007 4:33 am, Henning Eiben wrote:
> I wrote a small sample-application once using PHP (with propel and
> smarty) and once using Java (JBoss, EJB3, JSP & Servlets). Both apps
> are
> being served from a windows server (2x Xeon 1,3GHz, 2 GB RAM), but the
> performance of the PHP version is much slower than the Java version.
>
> I already installed an php-accelerator (eAccelator) which increased
> the
> overall performance, but still the performance is quite poor.
>
> Are there any "tweaks" to tune PHP performance?

Yes.

Oh.

You probably want specific examples...

It really depends how you architect things in the first place...

If you built a Java app, and then converted it one-for-one to PHP,
performance would likely be abysmal, as they both take very different
approaches to development overall...

Without knowing more about your application, I guess I'd suggest you
start with callgrind (Linux) and see where all your time is getting
spent.  Since Windows doesn't have callgrind, you'll have to find out
what it does have that's like callgrind, and use that, whatever it
is...  Or switch to Linux, which might be easier anyway, and will
probably give you the biggest boost in performance.

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?