Re: Server side speech

   I had actually done something almost exactly like this as an experiment
a few months back at http://isawit.com/tts/login.php.  The audio download
portion may no longer work, though.... I can't remember if I removed the
code from that specific server or not.  It was just for my own fun and
edification, not any kind of project.

   What it did was allow someone to go to the site, type in a phrase, the
server converted it to audio (WAV) and the user could download it.  However,
it could easily be embedded into the page.  Then my desktop computer would
access the database on the server once per minute to read unread phrases
through a PHP/BASh hybrid to read aloud the phrases users entered.  I had a
simple CLI email script on my end, too, that allowed me to zip a response to
the user in either audio or text format.

   I used Festival's TTS engine, which worked just fine for me.  I did some
modifications to it and then wrote some simple script wrappers for it.

understandable, and it definitely does work.