Re: [PHP-WIN] Re: [PHP] slow performance

Stanislav Malyshev wrote:

>> But as far as I understand, java kinda does the same thing, doesn't it?
>> Java programs are being compiled into some intermediate language, and
>> this is being interpreted at runtime. So using an accelerator should
>> mimic the same setup for php.
>
> Java is much less dynamic language than PHP (try doing $foo = $$bar in
> Java :) which allows it to generate more low-level and more efficient
> bytecode and also use JIT compiling to further improve its performance.
> PHP opcodes is more high-level and not JIT-ed (unless somebody writes
> JIT for PHP, which didn't happen yet :)

ok, sounds reasonable.

>> Do you know any resource, describing how php works (like the thing about
>> compiling opcode, and stuff)? How does php handle simultaneous requests?
>
> Try these:
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/internals.php
> http://blog.libssh2.org/index.php?/archives/24-Extending-and-Embedding-PHP.html

ah, this saves my good-night-reading for today! :)

>> Are there multiple threads spawned?
>
> Depends on server API. ISAPI does, fastCGi doesn't.

OK; so for serving multiple concurrent clients ISAPI would sound to me
like the better choice, since it can use threads, or what would be the
advantage of using fastcgi?

--
... ERROR:  CPU not found.