Re: Preventing SQL Injection/ Cross Site Scripting

On Tue, April 24, 2007 3:33 pm, Justin Frim wrote:
>   (unfortunately in PHP these are enabled by default.  AHH!  Which
> idiot
>   thought this was a good idea to turn them on by default?

Rasmus thought it was a Good Idea because it was very convenient for
his needs at the time, which as simple form processing, cramming it
into the DB, in an era where SQL injection and XSS attacks had about
the same contextual relevance as "AIDS" had in the the Summer of
Love... (I.e., none)

Then we were trying to avoid breaking BC in a big way, which may have
been a mistake, but there it is.

I think maybe I recall reading that PHP 6 won't even have Magic
Quotes, much less have them on by default...

But maybe that was just a dream...

You can Google for Derick Rethan's (sp?) Paris PHP Meeting Notes of a
PHP 6 roadmap and find out for sure, or check Lukas' PHP ToDo Wiki to
be even more current/certain.

PS It's sure a lot easier when you have some control over the
environment and can just turn the dang things off in .htacess :-)

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?