Re: Separating words based on capital letter

Dotan Cohen wrote:

I have some categories named in the database as such:
OpenSource
HomeNetwork

I'd like to add a space before each capital letter, ideally not
including the first but I can always trim later if need be. As I'm
array_walking the database, I have each value at the moment I need it
in a string $item. Other than pregging for A-Z how can I accomplish
this? I haven't been able to get it down to less than 54 lines of
code, which in my opinion means that I'm doing something wrong.

You could do this with one regular expression, but if you really want to avoid them here is a 'pure PHP' way:

<?php
$test = 'HomeNetworkTestThing';

$az = range('A','Z');

$output = $test[0];

for ($i = 1; $i < strlen($test); $i++)
{
	if (in_array($test[$i], $az))
	{
		$output .= " {$test[$i]}";
	}
	else
	{
		$output .= $test[$i];
	}
}

echo $output;
?>

Cheers,

Rich
--
Zend Certified Engineer
http://www.corephp.co.uk

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out of a window"