Re: Re: posting variables to parent frame

I'll jump in on this one, because I've dealt with the div/object/iframe frustration before. And I would not be very happy if the W3C decided to deprecate iFrames right now, at least with the current state of the world's browsers.

I found that with <object> I didn't have very much control over the border frame (some browsers just refused to make it go away!), others had problems with sizing, positioning, and margin control. Some browsers even flat out refused to load the object data, but worked just fine with iFrame.

From my own testing experience, my iFrames worked on IE 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7, all Mozilla-based browsers (Firefox, SeaMonkey, etc.) right from the start of the Mozilla foundation up to the latest version of Sea Monkey, and Opera versions 6 and 9.

Al wrote:

Provide an example of an iFrame that will work on all modern browsers and that can't be done with DIVs or OBJECTS

Stut wrote:

Al wrote:

iFrames are obsolete and only IE handles them. I don't even know if IE7 does.

Well that's just a complete load of rubbish. The iframe tag is not obsolete, and I don't know where you got the idea that they are. Several legitimate uses for iframes exist, and they're unlikely to go away any time soon.

Use css <div> tags instead.

They don't do the same thing, not by a long shot.

-Stut