Re: running linux

On Fri, April 20, 2007 10:37 am, Ross wrote:
> I have an old laptop and would like to either run linux on it or have
> it
> running window and emulate a lixux environment. Is this possible?

Both are probably possible.

The easiest way to find out if it will run Linux natively would be to
snag an Ubuntu (or Knoppix or...) CD and boot from CD, if it has CD
drive.

You could also play with VMWare under Windows, though an "old" laptop
may not have enough RAM/swap to make this pleasant...

> What is  the easiest way to get linux to run on a windows machine? Is
> it any
> easier to do this on a mac?

On an older Mac with pre OS X hardware, you'd have a really hard time,
I think...  There was YellowDog Linux or somesuch, but...

If it's capacble of running OS X, just run that, and pretend it's
Linux, even though it's not really, but it's kinda sorta not too far
from Linux for most of what you'd want to do involving PHP.
[It's way closer to BSD, actually.]

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.
Know what I want?