Re: Why can't I ini_set('upload_max_filesize')?

It's PHP_INI_PERDIR, but php takes the MINIMUM(php.ini, .htaccess,
FORM:MAX_FILE_UPLOAD_SIZE_THINGIE)

So it's no less secure than the webhost/sysadmin chooses to make it.

Or, at least, that's how I understood it to work when I tested it ages
ago...

No promise it hasn't changed.