warning message to hide

Hi,

Today i discovered that when my host webserver has some issue with
PostgreSQL database, my code displays the following error message :
*"Warning*: pg_connect()
[function.pg-connect<http://www.immense.sk/function.pg-connect>]:
Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server:
Connection refused Is the server running on host "pgsql.exohosting.sk" and
accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432? in */www/xxxx.php* on line yyy."

I would like instead of that, to display my own error message... in fact, i
would like to display something like : "We are sorry but temporary we have
some technical issues. Please try again later".
how can i do that ?

i tried to do :
$conn = pg_connect($conn_string);

if ($conn) // check if database is online
{
   // close database connection
   pg_close($conn);
}
else
{
   // impossible to connect to DB
   die('Maintenance in progress... Try later.');
}

but it still display the previous warning message.
thanks for your help.

--
Alain