Re: Cheap Ping

At 11:16 PM -0600 4/12/07, ccspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I am trying to find a simple way to test to see if a web site
is up or not.

At 4/13/2007 08:56 AM, tedd wrote:
Try:

if ($unix)
   {
   system ("ping -c$count -w$count $host");
   system("killall ping");
   }
else
   {
   system("ping -n $count $host");
   }

What's a circumstance in which one would want to ping without getting a return value? Short of attempting a denial of service barrage? Really, I'm not being snide, just curious.

According to the Fingerlicking Manual (OK, now that was arguably snide), you have two opportunities to get return values from system() -- the last command line string as the function return value and a status byte returned in the second parameter. The example provided is:

// Outputs all the result of shellcommand "ls", and returns
// the last output line into $last_line. Stores the return value
// of the shell command in $retval.
$last_line = system('ls', $retval);

http://php.net/system

Googling, I came up with other methods including:

PHP Ping (using socket functions)
by Philip Jensen
http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?lngWId=8&txtCodeId=1786

Pinging a remote host in PHP (using PEAR)
http://builder.com.com/5100-6371-5234592.html

What's a preferred method?

Regards,

Paul