0x9f54 is an invalid Big5 character! (was Re: [PHP] Re: 0x9f54)

    OK, I took your problem from the other end.  I tried to see what
you're trying to store.  I entered your 0x9F54 in a text file (using
binary editor) and opened it in Firefox.

    Guess what!  When the encoding is set to Big5, I just got a "?".
But if I switch to Big5-HKSCS, I've got the "麁" character!  Ah!  A step
backward is thus necessary: let's look at the standard of Big5.

    I can't find any official website mentioning the Big5 standard.  I
just found this page which seems good enough for me:
http://www.answers.com/topic/big5

    Look, your 0x9F54 is in the "Reserved zone"!  It is thus undefined
in standard Big5.  It's only defined in HK's extended standard!

    I'm not sure it's a direct cause to your problem, but it's a hint.

    As a side note, this character (that I've never seen before!) is
perfectly defined in Unicode.  Again another example to convince you to
abandon the dinos..., ahem, legacy Big5 encoding :-)