To: <php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Jochem Maas" <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 3:13 PM
Subject: Re:  free allocated memory: HOW ?

I am using PHP version 5.1.2. on my dev machine. The same problem with PHP 5.2.1 on webserver.

I am generating mails based on a HTML Template. If you look at the appended screenshot you'll see that after reading the template with fread() memory_get_usage() says ~386 MB in use...

Then the placeholders in the read template are replaced by customized values within a loop. The size of the used memory grows permanently in each loop by approx 30 MB.

any ideas what i am doing wrong and where i [ab]use php? ^^

Jochem Maas schrieb:
Arthur Erdös wrote:
Hello all,

is there a way to free memory allocated by variables in PHP?? This is a
very important issue concerning long running scripts...

this is a recurrent problem - not much can be done about it AFAIK ... I'd
be very glad to be proved wrong.

I have a script that generates > 5000 Newsletters and when the script
finishes it uses 1.8 GB (!!) of RAM. Although I am using unset() to
clean up variables (tried with $var = null too).

okay this does suggest your doing something else very wrong - I personally have code that regularly generates upto 20,000 individualised newsletters without going anywhere near this ammount of memory - granted I've hit my memory limit a couple of times and had to jack it up to 128Megs (in practice the script grab just over
64Megs when it's doing it's worst).

what version of php are you [ab]using?

I've read sth about php not giving the allocated memory back to the OS
until a script finishes, is that right?? Is it possible to free the
memory "by hand"?

Any suggestion is appreciated!

thx in advance