Re: SQL Source Control

Richard Davey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know a lot of you use various means for PHP source control (CVS, SVN,
> etc), which is all well and fine, but how do you manage source control
> on your databases?
>
> Say you've got an upgrade to a site, all of the new PHP files are
> controlled by SVN, so you can rollback at any time, but say the upgrade
> includes several key modifications to a MySQL table and perhaps the
> changing of some core data.
>
> How (if at all?!) do you handle the versioning of the database and data
> itself, so you can keep both PHP and SQL structure in sync?

Yeah this is a weak point in my chain too!

I keep database schema's in a file which can start with a blank db and
create all the tables allowing for modifications and updates etc. over
time with new deployments.

But if something breaks... rolling back is well. a pain....

I could use a backup file and MySQL binary logs to replay to the point
prior to deployment/update if the world depended on it, but this would
take several hours to do and so I really wouldn't say I "relied" on this
method.. it's more disaster recovery!

Any suggestions in this area would be interesting.

Col