Re: finding a particular record within a MySQL result set

On Wed, April 4, 2007 12:07 pm, James Tu wrote:
> I've cross posted this to the MySQL list...
>
> Here's my original post.
>
>> Is there some quick way to do the following in MySQL?  (I know I
>> can use PHP to search through the result set, but I wanted to see
>> if there's a quick way using some sort of query)
>>
>> Let's say I know that Joe is from Maine.
>> I want to do a query of all employees from Maine, ordered by hiring
>> date, and figure out where Joe falls in that list. (i.e. which
>> record number is he?)
>>
>> -James
>>

> Here's my new plan of attack...
>
> Right now I'm trying to use PHP to do a binary search on the result
> set so I don't have to traverse the entire result set.
>
> I'm using PHP's mysql_data_seek() to move the pointer within the
> result set and looking at the data to do the necessary comparisons.
>
> What do people think of this approach?

It will probably be "slow" if you have many records in result set.

In what way is it even meaningful to figure out where Joe falls in the
list?...

Whatever it means, and whatever that is for, it ought to be stored in
the DB in the first place, probably...

Or you're just plain breaking good practices in a Big Way that will
hurt you later.

Hard to tell...

--
Some people have a "gift" link here.