Re: Dates and different time zones

Niklas Karlsson wrote:

Okay, so I should set the default time zone to central GMT time, and then
save GMT offset for every user. This sounds realistic, because I don't think
that I need to correct the time for users that doesn't login.

So, if I now have the GMT offset for every user, how do I display the right
date? Can someone please show some phpcode? I would be very grateful if
someone could do that.

It depends where the dates are coming from. My guess would be a database, and if so why not let MySQL do the work for you?

SELECT date_created, DATE_SUB(date_created, INTERVAL 8 HOUR) AS offset_date from your_table

The above assumes the users offset is -8 hours. Use DATE_ADD for GMT + values.

Then you'll have both values in PHP - the actual original GMT date the date was created, and an offset date you can use for display.

Or of course you can pluck just the GMT date out and start using PHP functions to convert to local timezones, etc. But if the shoe fits ...

Cheers,

Rich
--
Zend Certified Engineer
http://www.corephp.co.uk

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out of a window"