Re: MD5 & bot Question

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 22:27 +0200, Tijnema ! wrote:
> On 4/9/07, Travis Doherty <travis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Robert Cummings wrote:

> > >Ah, I see. I was too lazy to go check since I don't use Microsoft except
> > >insofar as to make things work in their crappy browser. Either way, can
> > >you verify the images are static? See if getting two kitty cats produces
> > >the same md5 signature :) Just because it's a picture doesn't invalidate
> > >what I said.
> > >
> > >Cheers,
> > >Rob.
> > >

> > Steganography has been able to "hide" text in images for quite some time
> > now.  Basically you cram whatever info you want into the 'unused' or
> > 'less used' bytes of the image.
> >
> > With this in mind I imagine even if you did have an image repository of
> > only 8 images you could add some random bytes to the right spots in the
> > image without distorting it beyond recognition/corrupting it, and
> > therefore get a hybrid of static/on-the-fly images, that hashing
> > couldn't break so simply.
> >
> > 2 cents...
> >
> > Travis Doherty
>
> This is exactly what tedd did in his last arrow example. He edited the
> header of the GIF image, and so that would result in different MD5.
>
> Finding this part and skipping it in the MD5 check would do the job. :)

Yep, that's an obvious solution since it's the same way virus signatures
are matched. The entire image needs some kind of permutation. Passing a
couple of curved ripples across the image as a transformation, and in
different directions should suffice to obfuscate the image signature
without obfuscating the image itself :) Similarly watermarking the image
using fractal patterns should also provide good noise.

Cheers,
Rob.