RE: PHP textbook suggestions?

[snip]
I see a couple of recommendations for textbooks now... thanks.
[/snip]

One of the problems is trying to find a textbook for beginning
programmers, then adding the specifics of PHP on top of it. The best
that I can think of would be PHP for Dummies as it assumes no prior
programming experience, is a light-hearted read, and covers such basic
topics as "why double quotes" and basic logic. You will even get a dose
of OOP thrown in for good measure.

Things like quoting styles are the foundations for holy wars, much like
the wars concerning print v. echo, bracket style, etc. and really have
no relevance to what you are trying to do (I appreciate those who
weighed in on the subject...but it was of little help to the OP). There
are several good PHP books out, but most if not all assume a certain
level of experience with regards to programming; procedural v. OOP, a
knowledge of HTML, etc.