Re: Idea/Suggestion for PHP App

Eric Butera wrote ..
> On 4/5/07, straderb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <straderb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hey... I am new to the list so please forgive me if I say anything that
> might have already been discussed.  So here we go...
> >
> > OK I am attempting to start a new application using PHP.  I have started
> and stoped this application now 2 times cause I get moving then I stop
> realizing I should have done this work before hand and in a differant way.
> I was wondering does anyone have any places I can read on how develope
> a PHP Web application like what area should I start with first, what are
> somethings I need to think about before hand.  The application I am working
> on is Database driven app.  It will have data inserted into the DB from
> various data sources that are manually entered.
> >
> > However I need to develope the app as dynamic as possible for future
> add-ons... I know I am probably biting off more then I can chew at this
> time... So any pointers or exampled (which would be great) on how to start
> an app from scratch and also how to use OOP (Which I have a feeling is
> what I need to learn) would be wonderful.  Thank you all for any help you
> can provide.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Billy S.
> >
> > --
> > believed to be clean.
> >

> > --
> >

> I hear what you are saying.  It is a great goal, but just remember to
> aim high and see where you end up.  You can read everybody's opinion
> on how a web app should work, but that isn't going to write the
> program for you.  Just roll up your sleeves and get in there.  If you
> make something and realize that it wasn't optimal and needs to be
> refactored, then you're moving in the right direction.  Experience is
> the key here.  Also make sure not to fall into the framework trap
> until you have a decent grasp on the language to even know why people
> use them.
>
> I like browsing around on the SitePoint forums to see what people are
> doing in PHP. (http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=147)
>  It has given me several ideas for my apps that I think have really
> been useful.
>
> Also since you're starting out it would be remiss of me not to mention
> that you really need to read up on web security before you get too
> serious about things.  The PHP Security Consortium will give you some
> pointers on what you're up against. (http://phpsec.org/projects/)
>
> Finally stay on the php-general mailing list.  Even though you might
> think you know the answers to all the questions, seeing another
> perspective on the issue is really valuable.
>
> --
> believed to be clean.

Well I am not going anywhere... I know I do not know everything about PHP.  I know just enough to be dangerous.  The PHP Security is a nice site.  I will read up on that.  That is where I started over on my app the 2nd time was to increase the security.

But where would be a good place for me to learn about OOP.  It seems to be the way to do things these days.  I am from the old If this do this else if this do that else do something that you don't care about days... So, if there is some easy to learn way of the OOP and stuff that would be great.

Billy S.

believed to be clean.