Re: Audio CAPTCHA review request

At 3:39 PM +0200 4/5/07, Tijnema ! wrote:
Still, I don't see any way that a computer could make the difference
between a user and a computer. Because some computers can't be smarter
then others. It's only the way they're programmed.

Tijnema

Tijnema:

You may very well be correct. I've often said that anything a computer can generate another computer can interpret. However, there are differences between the two technologies with respect to timing (a technology lag) and cost. If one develops a better captcha, there will be a lag time between it's introduction and spammer's catch-up. Also, what's the cost involved between development of the captcha as compared to cost for it's solution? If the cost for development is less then it may simply cost the spammer too much to keep up.

On these two points, I have to say it's possible to develop a captcha that will work. However, that isn't saying that the captcha will be accessible to all.

We may find ourselves at a point of asking the disabled (or anyone) to take an alternate path for contributing. Such as, sending an email asking for a password allowing them to contribute to a blog for example.

However, a spammer could do the same. But, if you pass all requesting emails through a spam filter, like spamcop.net, then that should reduce spam to an acceptable level.

Perhaps I don't fully understand the problem, but there are many things here to consider before giving up.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------