dynamic web interface and size

Hi,

My question is not so much about PHP language but more about concept and PHP
result.

Basically i'm currently working on web application to administrate the web
content of a website. My customer would like to have a nice web application
interface, so it means a lot of images, and so on.
However, he would like also to have as PHP/postgreSQL results some tables
with quite enough information, so it means several fields data to collect
and to show.... so, a huge width for each table.

Here is my dilema... basically and based on web standard all website should
have an interface of 1024px (less scrollbar = 1000 px) width.
How can i display enough data on such width ?

I was thinking to display data into a div and to make this div scrollable in
order to respect those 1000px width.

I would like to have your experiences point of view in such situation.

thanks a lot,

--
Alain