Re: Why do some pages repeat a previous page's action(s) after redirect?

On 4/3/07, Chris W. Parker <cparker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,

I have a form page and a processing page. After submitting the form the
processing page does whatever it needs to do (insert a record, send back
validation errors, etc.) After determing what to do it always redirects
somewhere with header('Location: URL');

But sometimes when I'm back at the form page (after the redirect) and I
refresh the page it does the previous page's actions again. And again
and again.

Why would it do that? Shouldn't a refresh just resubmit whatever is in
the address bar and not go through a certain path?

The only way I've found to make it stop redoing the previous page's
actions is to put my cursor in the address bar and press enter.

I don't remember seeing this behavior in the past so I wonder if it has
something to do with Apache's or PHP's configuration.

Thanks,
Chris.

This is the only behavior i know of, a refresh action does the same
action he did for loading the current page again. If you submit data
to that page, it will resubmit the data. If you're using the
Location:URL header entry, the browser doesn't "saves" this action as
an action did by the browser itself, and so it will submit the data to
the page where you redirect. If you want to bypass this, you should
use the javascript window.location method instead.

Tijnema