Cannot remove PHP Version 5.2.1-0.dotdeb.1

This probably belongs under php-install, but thought I would try here first,
and it comes under the general header of "Be careful what you wish for".

On a new Ubuntu (Debian) server I installed this version of PHP because I
wanted some 5.2 features. It's the hardened version, and not the one we
want.

I have done the conventional "aptitude remove php5", and then went to all of
the directories returned by "whereis php5" and manually removed them.

I've rebooted both the server and my own computer, and still a
http://localhost/phpinfo.php returns the phpinfo() data AND shows
configuration file paths: etc/php5/apache2 and /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d
which have been deleted.

Does anyone have experience with this beastie? A steer in the right
direction would be appreciated, especially as I set up a new server about
once every decade or so.

Cheers - Miles