Re: PDO and buffered queries

On 4/1/07, Larry Garfield <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So there's no PDO experts out there, eh? :-(

No, not really a PDO expert ;)

On Wednesday 28 March 2007 11:14 pm, Larry Garfield wrote:
> HI all.  The PHP.net manual is somewhat unclear on this point, so I thought
> I'd ask here.  Does PDO automatically buffer queries the way that the
> mysql_* extension does, in order to allow multiple result sets open at the
> same time? Or is that something that has to be set on the connection, and
> if so, is that available for all drivers?
>
> I ask because I am running into a problem with a query segfaulting on me,
> but only under PHP 5.1 with PDO from pecl.  It ran fine in PHP 5.2.0.  The
> only mention in the manual on this subject is:
>
> http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.pdo-mysql.php
>
> "If this attribute is set to TRUE on a PDOStatement, the MySQL driver will
> use the buffered versions of the MySQL API. If you're writing portable
> code, you should use PDOStatement::fetchAll() instead."
>
> The sample code there suggests that nothing does buffered queries except
> the MySQL driver.  I find no mention of that anywhere else, though, one way
> or another.  Of course, using fetchAll(), as it suggests, means that I only
> get arrays, not objects.  (Unless I'm misreading those docs, too.)
>
> Any PDO experts out there able to shed some light on the situation?  I'm
> thoroughly confused at this point, and the manual is quite unclear on all
> of the important details I care about. :-)
>
> --
> Larry Garfield                        AIM: LOLG42
> larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                ICQ: 6817012
The manual isn't very clear at this part, but from what i understand
of you is that you want to get objects from PDO using fetchAll().
Normally you would used fetch()? If so, it shouldn't be too hard i
think as fetchAll() accepts the same constants as fetch() does. You
should pass PDO::FETCH_OBJ: as first parameter for the fetchAll()
function.

If this wasn't what you were looking for, then sorry for wasting your
time, as I'm no PDO expert. But I thought lets give it a shot :)

Tijnema