Re: Re: Alternative/Addition to using a CAPTCHA

Maybe I'm missing something..  if the intent is to have 'hidden' fields that a user would end up submitting but a bot wouldn't.. that wouldn't work very well.  A bot could easily see the hidden fields and submit them along with whatever other data they were sending.

If the intention is to trick a bot into sending data a user wouldn't, then again.. doesn't work because a user is going to send the hidden fields as well.

It doesn't really matter if a user can 'see' or edit a form field, a bot can be programmed to send whatever data it finds in that form, hidden or not, because it's only hidden from humans from seeing and editing because that's how the web browsers interpret and render that HTML.  Bots don't render HTML, just read it as a text file and parse through it looking for form data and whatever else they're programmed to look for.

Now, if you did an onsubmit on your form that executed a function to modify the HTML pre-submit using JS's innerHTML command, you MIGHT be able to trick it a little.  But again, the bots are probably programmed not to be too smart.. but to emulate specific CAPTCHA systems.  So a smart bot programmer would notice this and find a way to figure out what form elements were included via innerHTML alteration.

-TG