Re: Alternative/Addition to using a CAPTCHA

On 3/30/07, John Comerford <johnc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was reading the current tread on CAPTCHA and possible cracks and I
thought maybe I'd throw this out to the group to see what you think.
Recently I saw a forum where in order to post you first had to click on
a div that was placed at a random location on the page, it read
something like, "Click here if you are human".  I was thinking that
maybe you could put together a system that looks something like this:

http://people.aapt.net.au/JComerford/ClickMe.htm

I was thinking you could use it in a couple of ways:

1) As a replacement to a CAPTCHA image
2) When you click the image a CAPTCHA image is loaded into the 'Click
Me' container

The main problem is how to tell the server that the div has been
clicked, in a way that can't be simulated.  I am not an expect with
either JS or PHP, but maybe some of the bigger brains out there could
throw in their 2 cents......

JC

This looks maybe hard to crack, but actually it isn't very hard. All
the clicking does is calling a javascript function. You still could
submit the page without clicking the box.

Tijnema