Re: works at command line but not in apache

On 3/17/07, rwhartung <rwhartung@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
  I have this short php script: [op;ening <?php and closing ?> removed.

$db = pg_connect('dbname=bpsimple user=minitwr password=RWHart') ;

print $db . "<br />" . "\n" ;
if ($db)
{
       print 'Connection attempt succeeded.' . "<br />" . "\n" ;
} else
{
       print 'Connection attempt failed.'. "<br />" . "\n" ;
}

$query = 'SELECT fname, lname FROM customer' ;
$result = pg_query($db, $query) ;
while($myrow = pg_fetch_assoc($result) )
{
       print $myrow['fname'] . " " . $myrow['lname']  . "\n" ;
}

This works fine as a PHP script from the command line, but wrapped up in
apache.  All connections are local host.  PHP otherwise works fine on
the apache server and the code is identical on both the CL script and
the test.php web page.  Ideas?  Where to start looking?

TIA

Bob

One of the comments in the PHP Manual says this:

If you use pg_connect('host=localhost port=5432 user=my_username
password=my_password dbname=my_dbname') and you get the following
error:
"Warning: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: could
not connect to server: Connection refused Is the server running on
host localhost and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?"
then you should try to leave the host= and port= parts out of the
connection string. This sounds strange, but this is an "option" of
Postgre. If you have not activated the TCP/IP port in postgresql.conf
then postgresql doesn't accept any incoming requests from an TCP/IP
port. If you use host= in your connection string you are going to
connect to Postgre via TCP/IP, so that's not going to work. If you
leave the host= part out of your connection string you connect to
Postgre via the Unix domain sockets, which is faster and more secure,
but you can't connect with the database via any other PC as the
localhost.

I think that's what your problem is also, but not sure about it.
(using MySQL mostly)

Tijnema