Re: Re: Getting last record ID created from DB

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 14:08 -0400, markw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 12:19 -0400, Mark wrote:
> >> Robert Cummings wrote:
>
> There in lies the biggest problem with LAMP, and that's MySQL. The
> architecture of your methodology *only* works with MySQL, and not more
> capable databases like Oracle, DB2, or even PostgreSQL.
>
> If you rely on oddities of a particular system, then you are doomed to be
> stuck with it or pay the price of redesign when you need a more capable
> system.

I'd have to disagree, I'm currently working on largish project and an
intentional decision was made to use the auto incrementing feature of
MySQL for better speed. To move away from the MySQL auto increment
feature in the future is as simple as changing code in one location.
Many people using MySQL do so for a reason, to then discard the
advantages of the chosen system should be weighed carefully against
future expectations. Also, oddity implies a negative perspective, one
man's oddity is another man's feature. I'm quite certain the developers
at MySQL implemented auto increment as a feature to simplify the lives
of developers working with databases.

Cheers,
Rob.