re regex error

Hello again;
Regarding the error I  was inquiring about:

Warning: ereg() [function.ereg]: REG_ERANGE in <path info>_proc.php on line 81

I still would like to know what it means but
I solved the script problem.
I found that since $groups is a string that was exploded to form the $g_list array it may have been struggling to try and crawl back through the whole string in the middle of the for loop. But I don't know, because I don't know what REG_ERANGE means. I should have not been trying to run this regex at this stage of the script and, in fact (I have been doing a lot of complex programming on this project ) I had the same regex further down the list where is should have been and was already. Anyhow, I think this may be valuable for anyone who is trying to learn by watching
and reading this list.
thanks
Jeff K